Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Final goal reached!!

Project David 2.0 ended on July 17th.  But there was one last goal to accomplish.  My last goal to reach was to be able to get off of my medications for my Type II Diabetes.  I was diagnosed over 8 years ago and have managed to keep my numbers in check with medications and eating better.  Each year my A1C has dropped.  I had my annual A1C check a month before I decided to start this project.  Numbers were good.  Down a bit from the previous year.  Then 90 days into my transformation I was tested again and it had a significant drop.  I was near the bottom end of the normal range, if I wasn't on meds.  I wondered, once I hit my goal weight, could I actually fall below the normal range, and without meds, fall into the normal range?  A little over 4 months ago I went off of my medications.  Last Friday I went in for a complete lab workup.  Today I met with my doctor to review my results.  After he talked with the nurse, and reviewed my results he came in the room.  "You are a miracle man!".  My unmedicated A1C was in the normal, non-diabetic range.  My doctor said all my hard work had paid off.  I watched as he updated my records, deleting all of my medications, and then the next change he made was something I never expected to see.  He pulled up the box that said Diabetes, Type II, and cleared the check box.  I was no longer diagnosed as diabetic.

Genetics come into play, and while today I am no longer considered diabetic, the possibility exists that no matter how successful I continue to be with weight management, diet, and exercise, the possibility exists that I could again become diagnosed as diabetic and have to go back on medications.  I will continue to have my A1C tested every 6 months to see that I am staying within the normal levels.  I'm ok with that for today I am no longer diagnosed as a diabetic.  Final goal reached.


1 comment: