Monday, November 28, 2011

Let the adventure begin!


West of House

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

There is a small mailbox here. (Zork I, Infocom)


AT END OF ROAD

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully. (Adventure PDP-10 (Colossal Cave Adventure))




For most techies/geeks/nerds, you will recognize these lines as the start of two classic adventure games. I first played these adventures in the late 70s, early 80s, one on my Apple II+, the other on a teletype connected to our district's PDP-11. To successfully complete the adventure you have to navigate your way through the developers universe, completing a series of puzzles, quests, riddles, challenges or battles, figuring out which way to go next, and collecting the tools and artifacts along the way that you need to be successful.


This morning I will begin my next adventure - the start of my career at Best Buy. And in a similar fashion to the classic adventure games, I will need to navigate my way through, leveraging the tools and information that I find to solve the challenges, puzzles, and opportunities I encounter along the way, to be successful. With this knowledge I will build a map that will help me find my way through. There will be paths that lead in the right direction and others that I might have to backtrack from, challenges that stretch me, puzzles that may stump me, but pulling from my knowledge and experience and working with my colleagues I will find the right path to reach success.


I am joining Best Buy's Global Business Services team as a Program Director, focused on leading initiatives to support business opportunities through technology. Something that I am passionate about. During my interview process I had a chance to meet several great people, each sharing that same passion. I look forward to getting in and learning the business and to begin working with those individuals and the rest of the GBS team, and other Best Buy teams. I look forward to sharing my knowledge and experiences with the team and to engage in the continued development of GBS and the services it offers the Best Buy enterprise.


You are standing in a parking lot, in front of a large brown building.


> Let the adventure begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment