Monday, November 14, 2011

Week 13: The other part of David 2.0 - Professional Transformation

Project David 2.0 consists of two components - physical transformation and professional transformation. Up to this point I've focused my blog on the personal transformation aspect, but have been working quietly on the professional transformation. Today we get caught up on both parts!

Personal Transformation
Yesterday marked the end of week 13, and also 3 months of David 2.0. My total weight loss at this point is 33.6 po

unds of my original 61.6 pound goal. Look for that target number to change (increase) after the first of the year. I have also logged 142.26 miles on the treadmill over the last 46 days. It wasn't put of my original plan but I will be setting a mileage goal for this project as well. All is going well, and I continue to be amazed at the difference that those pounds are making.

Professional Transformation
The other leg of this project was the professional side. The goal was to figure out where I wanted to be professionally. I've spent the past 10 years as an IT consultant, focused on project and program management. It has been very rewarding and I have been fortunate to be a part of many business changing initiatives, but over the last year or two I have felt something missing. I started to focus more on my big picture - that is, what am I looking for in the long term? Where do I want to go professionally? What is it that I enjoy doing the most, and what do I need to do to get there.

I had decided that one thing that I missed was seeing the long-term benefits of a project that I implemented. Many times I've gone in to do a project, then following the launch, my contract is up and I move on. Never seeing the full results of what we did or having the chance to continue to improve, or update the solution. In order to do that I felt I needed to transition from a consultant role to an employee role. Ok, I can be good with that. So the next question, where do I want to work? I've been interested in Best Buy for the last couple of years. Why? Well, my wife has worked there for almost 10 years and loves it, I am a big fan of the products, it's a big company, it's a technology company, and they are in the midst of their own "IT transformation". Many of the reasons that I got into technology in the first place. In August, as I was in the midst of thinking about all of this and starting David 2.0, I received a LinkedIn message from Jonathan Kidder, Best Buy Social Media Manager for HR Recruiting, letting me know Best Buy was in the midst of hiring IT people as part of this transformation. A couple of days later I received a tweet from @bestbuy_it_jobs saying the same thing. It took me a week or so to follow the link and look at the current openings. Once I did I saw one or two positions of interest and connected with Jonathan. That led to Jonathan connecting me with one of the recruiters for GBS, which led to me applying, several rounds of interviews, and to last Friday where I received and accepted an offer to join Best Buy's GBS team. I'll be starting right after Thanksgiving.


The first 90 days of Project David 2.0 have gotten off to a very successful start. While it has only been a short journey so far, and there is much more to go, it has been very exciting and very rewarding. I am excited about the new doors that have opened and the challenges and rewards that they will bring. I look forward to continuing to share my progress and success as Project David 2.0 continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment