Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fair food not fair game: Updated

Over the weekend we took the family down to Spencer, Iowa to go to the Spencer (Clay County) Fair. This is something my wife's family has done for years. One of the nice things about this fair is that they have a good sized machinery hill (John Deere, Case IH), and the tractors are open so that you can climb on and in them. This is a big draw to my 4 year old son. He can't get enough of the tractors. He's a John Deere boy thanks to his Papa who retired from farming a couple of years ago.

One of the other things about the fair is the food. 3 weeks ago we went to the Minnesota State Fair. I went conservative at the state fair, only had 3 mini donuts, but did have about 3/4 of an order of cheese curds. Add in 3 glasses of milk at the all you can drink milk stand (2 white, 1 chocolate) and just 2 Sweet Martha's cookies. Needless to say, for the day I was over on my calorie goal by 50%. It could have been much worse. That calorie violation fhad a negative impact on my weightless for the week. For whatever reason I hit that Monday up 2 pounds, resulting in a week that was spent getting me back to the previous week's loss total. A price to pay.

This weekend I knew going in I was going to have one of the Nutty Bars that they sell at the Spencer Fair. Vanilla ice cream on a stick, dipped in chocolate and covered in peanuts. This was going to be a given. No mini donuts this time. No cheese curds. I did have a gyro for lunch. Not very calorie friendly either (it's the pita). I haven't figured out yet how bad I violated my calorie limit for the day, but I know I went over. Sunday added another challenge. A church potluck. You know how those country church ladies like to bake. So many salads and desserts to choose from. I tried to do as best as I could given the temptation. But there was a cherry cobbler that was to die for. :-) Dinner was very sensible tonight. Chicken breast and spinach. Like I could really balance this against the cherry cobbler!!

So what does all of this mean? I've been working on my weight loss for 5 weeks. I've been very dedicated to controlling my food intake to honor my daily calorie goal. As of Friday morning I've lost 13.4 pounds. A good pace. I'm not sure what the scale will say on Monday morning. Going into this weekend I expected to take a hit. Why? Because I was going to allow myself a little food pleasure. Now I know that I will never hit my goal if I continue to take these little holidays from the calorie control. But I also know that to completely deny yourself some of these treats creates the risk that you will go overboard at some point and over consume. Don't get me wrong, this is not something I plan to do every 3-4 weeks. And I'm not beating myself up for the extras this weekend. I just know that I've got to stay true and continue with the overall discipline that I have been working under and stay focused.

My goal is 60 pounds by August 14, 2012. (I'd like to hit that by my birthday in July). My second goal was 25 pounds by Christmas. I have 3 months to get there, and there is no reason that I shouldn't be past that - that's a pound a week. And there are no more fairs between now and Christmas!

UPDATE: On Monday morning the scale told me that I over indulged on the cherry cobbler and other things. Weight was up 2.4 pounds. Now I know I didn't eat that many more calories. One other thing I left out was the fact that I didn't drink near the amount of water that I usually drink on a daily basis. Guessing that also had an impact.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment